- Direct upload of AutoCAD .dxf file format (2D & 3D)
- Extreme high precision machining
- Complex and intricate metal structures
- Accuracy to ±0.0025 mm
- Expensive, fragile, hazardous, high tensile materials
EDM (Electro Discharge Machining) is a cutting process that uses a spark erosion wire to perform non-contact cuts in metal parts. The process uses an electrical discharge that forms an arc between a wire electrode (typically brass or molybdenum) and a workpiece to erode or remove metal in its path. This timed sparking process occurs thousands of times a second. The spark is very carefully controlled and localised so that it only affects the surface of the material, and extremely care is taken to ensure the spark is consistent along the entire length of the wire. A jet of deionised water is used both as a dielectric and as a means of removing metal chips which are no larger than a few microns in diameter. The wire electrode itself is typically no larger than 0.025 mm, permitting an unmatched level of accuracy.
Because EDM wirecutting apples no cutting forces to the workpiece (the wire never touches) and applies little or no heat it can be used to cut extremely intricate, finely detailed parts in a range of thin and thick metals. As EDM can cut any conductive material, this type of machining presents a solution to forming components from extremely hard and exotic metals such as tungsten carbide, titanium, and more.
EDM machines such as our Suzhou Baoma BM500 are controlled by computer numeric control (CNC) and programming is accomplished directly off 2D CAD data or 3D models. APAC recommend using our EDM wire cutting services in situations like the below:
- Very thin walled material - no contact cutting means no force and no deformation
- Non-round cavitites/openings - electrodes do not rotate, wire diameter is typically 0.025 mm
- Recessed cuts - EDM reaches where conventional tools cannot
- Angled cuts - ability to 3D orbit in space.
- Materials that burr under ordinary machining - material is vaporised and flushed away
- Material with hazardous dust particles
- Frail/fragile materials - again, no contact cutting means no force applied.
APAC provide all EDM services right here in the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, just one hour north of Brisbane.